We have a great list of cute nicknames for Helen. It can be a fun process when deciding on the name of your child and even more fun when seeing of your favorite name has a great nickname.
Helen is a classic name and brings joy to so many families.
Most nicknames come from family members or friends who try to use a special name only for the person they care about; this is something very important and dear to them, so they do it with love. Although sometimes nicknames come as jokes, most of them turn into affectionate words towards the person you want to honor in this way.
Although many people think nicknames are childish, some Helen nicknames will seem fun and interesting; she might even appreciate them once she grows older!
What does the name Helen Mean?
The name Helen comes from Greek and means light. In Mythology, the name Helen was first given to a woman whose face caused men to go crazy during the time of Troy war; she was even kidnapped by Paris.
The Best Nicknames for Helen
Many of the nicknames are created by making the name shorter but the name Helen is already pretty short so we need to be creative. Here are some of the best nicknames for Helen that are perfect.
Funny Nicknames for Helen
- Nell Bell
- Helen the Melon
- Nelly Belly
- Gel-in with Helen
- Hels Bells
- Helenita the Margarita
- Ella Bella
Famous People Named Helen
Helen of Troy is not the only person with this name, here are some others:
– Helen Keller (1880-1968) was an American humanitarian known for her strong will and energy. During her life she became a social activist working towards helping blind people becoming more independant. She won many awards during her life including the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
– Helen of Greece and Denmark (1938-) is a princess from greek royal family better known as Princess Anne-Marie since her marriage to King Michael I of Romania. During her life she has been involved in many activities related with children, literature and poetry encouraging other people to get more involved working towards improving the world.
– Helen Mirren (1945-) is a British actress who has worked in theater, television and film. She has won many awards for her work, including an Oscar, a Grammy, four BAFTAs and three Golden Globes.
– Helen Hunt (1963-) is an American actress who started her career in the early 80’s. She has worked in TV movies and films, winning an Oscar for her role in As Good as it Gets.
– Helen Reddy (1941-) is an Australian pop singer known for her work during the 70’s with songs like I am Woman or Keep on Singing. Outside of her career as a singer, she was also casted in a few TV shows and toured with some of the biggest names in the industry.
Popularity of the Name Helen
Helen was a top 10 name from 1890 – 1940. It has slowly become less popular the past 80 years but that usually means a resurgence in popularity is near. In fact I know several babies with the name Helen recently. Expect a surge in popularity soon.
Let us know if you chose one of these nicknames for Helen or if you have some other nicknames to add to our list.